Providence Baptist Church was started in 1868, but was dissolved in 1870. It relocated to the present site in May of 1872. It held it's first conference in June 1872. Services were held in an old school house until 1885 when the first church building was built. In 1905, land was purchased for the first cemetary. Buried in one of the oldest marked graves is J.F. Petty, one of the first clerks of the church who died on June 29, 1884. In the early years of the church, services were held on the fourth Saturday and Sunday of each month. In 1953, they began to have services on the second and fourth Sunday of each month. Weekly services became available in 1958. Decoration Day was observed on the fourth Sunday in May with an all day Sacred Harp singing. The New Book Singing was held the third Sunday in October. Sunday School was started in 1933 with a Sunday School Superintendent elected.
The adjacent building was built in 1957. Additions were made in 1966 with new carpet and pews added as well. In 1970, more Sunday School space was needed in addition to the nursery and fellowship hall. The first full time pastor was out on the field in March 1968. The church observed its 100th anniversary in 1972 with a special centennial service and a day of celebration.
In 1977, the church approved the construction of a church pastoruim which was completed in 1978. In February of 1985, a ground breaking ceremony was held for the construction of the new church site. Dedication of the current building was held on November 24, 1991. Since then, we have purchased additional land for and added a ball field and paved additional parking space.
In 2004 we broke ground on our new activity building It has been a great addition to the church. The building has areas for athletics,a walking track, additional educational rooms and a kitchen. It supports our Wednesday night programs and many special events.